Running is a popular form of exercise. But how does running impact your longevity? What is the impact of combining running with other forms of exercise? Check out the video above.
- Runners have a 25-40% lower risk of all-cause death than non-runners
- Runners have a 45-70% lower risk of heart disease death than non-runners
- Runners have a 30-50% lower risk of cancer-related death than non-runners
- Overall, running can lower the risk of death by 27%. But combining it with other physical activities, the risk of death drops to 43%
- Runners have a 3 year longer life expectancy than non-runners
- 1 hour of running equates to about 7 hours of extended life
Lee D. et al. Running as a Key Lifestyle Medicine for Longevity. Prog Cardiovasc Dise (2017), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcad.2017.03.005.